Sunday, September 29, 2024

WHO ARE WE (AS YOUTH WORKERS + HUMANS)?


I’ve identified six key moments that shaped who I am today, starting with high school, where I faced my biggest challenges. The man who raised me was my biggest support in school, but when he went to prison at the end of my freshman year, I lost that help. My mom, who never went to high school, tried her best, but she couldn’t help me. When it came time to apply to colleges, I felt lost. We had only one college advisor for over a hundred students, making guidance hard to find. I struggled with my college essay and applications and eventually gave up. I felt defeated. I took a year off and worked at Dunkin’. I realized I wanted more for my future, so I applied to CCRI and began my college journey.

When I started at CCRI, I was eager to find the support I never had in high school. Unfortunately, I met with several advisors over two years who misadvised me each time. I was taking classes that wouldn’t count towards my degree once I transferred. I felt lost and hopeless again, with no one to turn to or a community to lean on. Then, I met someone from the RIC Admissions team who told me I only needed two more classes to transfer. I quickly signed up for those summer classes and applied to RIC. I started to feel optimistic.

In the fall of 2018, I started at RIC, feeling both anxious and excited to be at the school I always wanted to attend. During transfer orientation, I learned about the Youth Development program. At first, I had doubts, but I soon fell in love with it. For the first time, I felt seen, heard, and accepted, with a supportive community to lean on. I felt a sense of belonging, learned to advocate for myself, and understood the importance of community and mentorship. Most importantly, I learned more about myself and my identity.

Shortly after starting at RIC, I joined Harambee, the Black Student Union, excited to connect and learn. I attended events regularly but often felt uncomfortable, questioning my identity and whether my voice mattered since I didn’t fit the expected appearance. One spring meeting stands out: while filling out paperwork for students of color, an Eboard member told me, “You’re not black, you don’t need to fill this out.” I was shocked and hurt, and this moment triggered my identity crisis. Despite this, I continued attending events, determined to represent Biracial folks. I eventually joined the Eboard as Secretary. It all paid off when we hosted Yusef Salaam, and I spoke in front of 1,000 people, which transformed me and helped me embrace my identity. My time in Harambee taught me valuable lessons about resilience and self-worth. I’m grateful for this journey, as it has empowered me to use my voice and advocate for others, deepening my understanding of myself and fostering inclusivity within the organization.

I also became a Transfer Navigator during my first year at RIC, which sparked my interest in higher education and inspired me to become a college advisor. Through this role, I discovered a deep sense of purpose and passion. I realized I wanted to advise, mentor, and guide young people, becoming the person I never had. My goal was to offer them the support, resources, and opportunities I never had.

Fast forward to September 2023, I started my dream job as an Advisor at Student Support Services (SSS). I work with first-generation, low-income students and those with documented disabilities. I see myself in them. I was once in their shoes. Every day, I wake up feeling like I’m living my purpose. I get to be the support I never had for so many students. This role inspires, teaches, and transforms me. Not only do I serve students, but I also attend leadership conferences and professional development opportunities, facilitating workshops that help me grow as a professional. This job is exactly what I needed. I've grown so much personally and professionally, and it’s even better because I’m truly passionate about the work I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

TOWARDS LIBERATION!

Shalaby talks about the power of teaching with love and care, saying that when teachers show empathy, students feel safe and valued. Youth w...