Monday, September 2, 2024

WHO ARE YOUTH? WHAT IS CHILDHOOD?

Youth Art Exchange
The podcast "Are children a marginalized group?"
explores how young people are often perceived as incapable of making significant decisions, leading to their opinions on matters like education and personal freedoms are ignored. This view stems from the belief that children, lacking the life experience of adults, are not capable of making informed choices. Legal and cultural norms typically give children fewer rights and less power, reinforcing this idea. For example, the podcast mentions that "kids experience structural and personal harm without any power to change it," and that they are "often left out of decisions about their own futures." This stereotype becomes even more complex for children from marginalized backgrounds, who often face additional barriers when it comes to having their voices heard. The podcast shows how children often feel dismissed by adults, saying things like, “Sometimes I feel like some adults will talk to me like they're being nice enough to ask my opinion, but in the end, they're not really going to think about what I'm saying just because I'm, like, a kid.” This reflects a broader cultural tendency to value adult opinions more, based on the belief that adults are more knowledgeable. As a result, children’s views are frequently overlooked.
Empowering Young Voices — Education ...
The article "Understanding Adultism" highlights the belief that young people are immature and incapable of understanding complex issues or making important decisions. "The opinions of most young people are not valued; they are punished at the will or whim of adults; their emotions are considered ‘immature.’" This stereotype overlooks their perspectives and abilities, reinforcing a cycle where their thoughts and opinions are disregarded. For young people of color or those from lower socioeconomic backgrounds, this disregard can be even more prominent, further silencing their voices. Gender stereotypes also contribute, as different genders may face differing expectations about emotional maturity, which influences how their opinions are perceived and treated. This belief prevents young people from showing their true capabilities and contributions. They deserve to be listened to and respected not just as future leaders, but as capable individuals today.

The article "Denaturalizing Adolescence: The Politics of Contemporary Representations" highlights "The second confident characteristics of adolescents declares that they are controlled by hormones and, therefore, dangerously out of control." The stereotype that adolescents are out of control because of hormones comes from the idea that their behavior is mostly driven by hormonal changes, ignoring other factors like social influences, mental health, and personal differences. Focusing on the "hormonal teenager" causes normal adolescent behavior to be seen as problematic. Adolescents of color often face unfair stereotypes that can affect how they are perceived and treated. For example, racial biases might lead to these young people being labeled as more rebellious or troublesome simply because of their race. This can lead to their behavior being misunderstood or judged unfairly. Additionally, gender plays a role in these stereotypes. Females are sometimes seen as overly emotional or dramatic, which reinforces negative gender norms that consider emotional expression in females problematic. 
Overcoming Prejudice Stock Photo ...  Memory - During undergrad when I was a member of Harambee, the Black Student Union on campus I was often left out of conversations and viewed differently because of my appearance. I was judged off appearance rather than my character and what I could contribute to the organization. It wasn’t just about being left out of discussions or social interactions; it extended to how my ideas and perspectives were received. It affected my confidence, my sense of belonging and made me feel less than.


4 comments:

  1. Dreya, I love how you've incorporated images throughout your post! I gave it a shot, but I ran into some issues—would you mind showing me how you did the formatting? I really appreciate how you broke down your response into four sections—it made it so easy to follow and keep track of your thought process.

    Also, thank you for sharing the memory and I'm really sorry to hear that you went through that. It's incredibly disheartening to be judged based on appearance rather than your character and the value you bring. No one should feel excluded or diminished because of how they look. It's painful when your ideas and perspectives aren't given the consideration they deserve. Please know that your experiences and contributions are valid, and they matter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing these summaries and insights, Dreya. I appreciate how you explored each text on its own and put the academic language into your own words. Thank you for sharing your own experiences in Harambee as well. It's an important reminder in our discussion of adultism that the assumptions made about who we are and what we know from our appearance have real impacts on our confidence and belonging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Dreya, great breakdown of the articles and podcast. Exploring how young people are characterized the effects of some experiences that stood out to me is how young people's opinions are often overlooked, with their emotions considered 'immature'. This stereotype, as you mentioned, particularly for those of color or lower socioeconomic backgrounds, perpetuates a cycle of disregarded perspectives, influenced by gender stereotypes.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dreya!! Loving the post <3 I agree with your post, especially about young people not having a voice. I am a strong believer about how young folks should have their own thoughts, ideas and opinions. Those thoughts should be valued and appreciated, they are part of our community and eventually the adults. Also, thank you for sharing your memory and being vulnerable in this space, I appreciate. You are valued

    ReplyDelete

TOWARDS LIBERATION!

Shalaby talks about the power of teaching with love and care, saying that when teachers show empathy, students feel safe and valued. Youth w...