When I first started reading the article, it was uplifting, and shortly after, I was disappointed and frustrated because the Educational Excellence (EE) program lost its focus and quality after leadership changes. The program originally provided strong cultural and personal support for youth, specifically Black youth, but shifted focus from genuine support to chasing growth and measurable results, compromising its original mission. They went from truly supporting youth to focusing more on external pressures and targets. Additionally, this article showed that community-based programs often view marginalized youth as problems to be fixed rather than addressing systemic issues. This deficit framing can weaken the program and reduce its ability to offer holistic support. It makes me think about how higher education often focuses more on external pressures, like hitting enrollment targets, rather than supporting current students. Schools tend to prioritize recruiting new students and boosting their image while neglecting the needs of those already enrolled. Then, they wonder why students are dropping out or transferring. They're prioritizing data and metrics over student well-being and support, causing a disconnect between the institution's goals and students' needs.
Decolonizing youth development: re-imagining youthwork for Indigenous youth futures (Katie Johnston-Goodstar)K/L/M Framework:
1. What did I already KNOW?
I already knew that Western views on childhood often overlook or dismiss Indigenous perspectives, which can be harmful. This reading confirmed that Western ideas about youth development have been used to push Indigenous kids to fit into a mold that doesn't honor their culture. It also exposed how these ideas cause Indigenous youth to be treated unfairly. To truly support Indigenous youth, we need to challenge these old and biased views and instead value and respect Indigenous ways of understanding and supporting young people.
2. What did I LEARN?
I learned about the history of how racial theories influenced youth programs like the Boy Scouts and YMCA. These programs used "playing Indian" to reinforce the idea that Western ways were superior. I also learned about G. Stanley Hall's theory, which linked childhood development to racial stages and shaped these youth programs, pushing the idea that children's growth mirrored a supposed racial evolution.
3. What do I want to know MORE about?
I want to learn more about how educators and policymakers are working to replace these outdated concepts with more inclusive and accurate representations of different cultures. I’m also interested in learning more about the Boy Scouts and YMCA history and seeing how things have changed over time with new practices and advocacy efforts.
Hi Dreya! I was also so excited about EE and felt instant rage and memories flash from when my CBO underwent changes in workers and lost their mission for a bit. Its so heartbreaking to see an organization work so hard for years, truly impact their community and then be forced to change in order to get "measurable" results to appease boards and donors in order to keep their doors open. They begin to lose the vision of what they once stood for.
ReplyDeleteThank you Dreya for sharing your insights and KLMs on these two texts. In particular I want to publish this paragraph on a 100-foot banner, attach it to the back of a plane and fly it above RIC "It makes me think about how higher education often focuses more on external pressures, like hitting enrollment targets, rather than supporting current students. Schools tend to prioritize recruiting new students and boosting their image while neglecting the needs of those already enrolled. Then, they wonder why students are dropping out or transferring. Because they're prioritizing data and metrics over student well-being and support, causing a disconnect between the institution's goals and students' needs." YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
ReplyDelete