A time I needed care was when I was in high school and the man who raised me was sent to prison. This was an extremely challenging and traumatizing period; I often felt overwhelmed and lost, dealing with constant anxiety. When he went away, it felt like I lost that side of my family too. Navigating this was heavy, a burden I carried by myself. My mom worked multiple jobs and didn’t have much time for herself, but she always tried to be there for me. She couldn’t always be there the way I needed her to, but for someone dealing with her own traumas, she did a damn good job trying. She stepped up more than anyone should have to, but she did it because she cared. She picked up every phone call, always made sure I was okay, and was there to lift me up when I was down. She created a safe space where I could talk about anything without judgment. She is my rock; whenever I doubt myself, she reminds me of who I am and what I'm capable of. Even when we argue or take time apart, I know I can call her, and she’ll be there as if we never stopped talking. Through all the ups and downs, she has always stood by my side. My aunt, her sister, was another crucial part of my support system. She stepped in when my mom couldn't, even while raising her own two kids. She answered every call, whether we were talking about something important or deciding which notebook I should buy for school. She would stay on the phone for hours, easing my anxiety and helping me focus on what I could control. More than an aunt, she felt like a second mom. Both my mom and aunt remind me of my strength and lift me up when I need it most. Without them, I honestly don't know where I would be today.
The systems around me played a significant role, especially in how they were uncaring. In high school, besides my basketball coach almost two years later, I never really felt cared for. That was the time I needed the most support and care, and I didn’t receive any from my school. My mom and aunt showed me what real care looks like; they became my system of care.


Hey Dreya,
ReplyDeleteThat sounds like an incredibly challenging time, and it's clear that your mom and aunt played essential roles in helping you navigate that difficult period. Their constant presence, even in the midst of their own struggles, speaks volumes about the love and care they have for you. It must have been tough to deal with the weight of losing that family connection while managing the anxiety that came with it, but it’s beautiful how they both stepped in to be your pillars of support. Their unwavering dedication seems to have shaped a lot of who you are today, reminding you of your capabilities and resilience. It's powerful that even when things get rocky, you know they’ll always be there for you.
Thank you for this tender post, Dreya and for sharing the ways that your mom and aunt showed up (in the ways that they could) to support and care for you in a very challenging time--and up against uncaring systems.
ReplyDelete